Friday, October 16, 2009

Training Accomplishments and Goals


This is mostly a list to help me, so I remember what to practice with Trent and what to work for each day. We go to novice obedience classes once a week, and get homework from the trainer, but I like sneaking in some of my own things occassionally, especially if Trent already knows the stuff.

Commands/Behaviors Already Known
(rated on a scale of 0-5, with 5 being solid, reliable grasp of the command/behavior)
Sit - 5
Down - 5
Stay (5-8 minutes + many distractions + me out of sight) - 5
Heel - 4.8
Let's Go (cue during walks for him to stop sniffing/lying down and continue the walk) - 4.5
Leave It - 4.5
Drop It - 4
Automatic Sit - 5
Sit - hand signal - 5
Down - hand signal - 5
Come here - 4.5 (depends on situation and environment)
Speak - 2 (forgot this after teaching "Quiet", then pretty much forgot both...)
Kisses - 5
Off - 5
Crate (go to crate) - 5
Study/Bedroom/Stairs (go to study room/bedroom/up the stairs) - 4
Go Potty - 5
Proper Behavior At Home - 4.99 (getting there!)
Socialization/Friendliness - 100000000 (if there's such thing as too friendly...)

Need to Work On This Week
10 minute "sit, stay" with many distractions + me out of sight
10 minute "down, stay" with many distractions + me out of sight
Reliable recall in more distracting situations
Controlling His Excitement (esp. around kids and other dogs)
"Quiet" on command
Heel/Finish - Standard



Long Term Goals/Plans
Continuing to have such a happy, well socialized, friendly, sweet, intelligent, confident, well adjusted dog! :)
CGC (?)
Dabbing in some agility
STOP TRYING TO PLAY WITH THE CAT!!

I would make a list of EVERYTHING we have to work on in general, but I think I'd wear out my keyboard if I tried...

2 comments:

  1. The stay exercises are great for the CGC. He should have no problem passing if you keep up the way you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep my fingers crossed! It's just something I like to work towards.

    Mostly I'm just concerned with the "greeting a strange dog" part. Not because he'll get aggressive, but because he'll promptly forget I exist, sink down to a play bow, and start running around, daring the dog to chase him.

    ReplyDelete